Pages

Saturday, 19 December 2009

Pandering to the Patrons



My mother explained that since she's basically funding my pursuits down south, she should have some say in what I produce: "Shakespeare didn't want to write his histories, Joe, he did them for his patrons. I am your patron and I want a poem!"

So I wrote her a poem:






That Be The Verse
by Joe Nockles


When I was just a little girl,
I asked my mother:
"What will I be?
Will I be pretty?
Will I be wealthy?
And here's what she said to me"


"Why have you cast yourself as a girl Joe? I don't understand. This really isn't what I had in mind! Now man up and try again!"




When I was just a little boy,
I asked my mother:
"What will I be?
Will I be handsome?
Will I be wealthy?
And here's what she said to me"


"Oh for god's sake! You're not a little boy anymore, Joe. You're 21. You can't be a child all your life. One day, you're gonna have to get up and stand on your own two feet! Now grow up and try again!"


When I was just a young adult,
I asked my mother:
"What will I be?
Will I be bread line?
Will I be dole line,
begging for a cup of tea?
And here's what she said to me"


"Why have you lowered your expectations? The world's not that bad is it?"
You'd be surprised, Mother.


When you were just a little girl,
You asked your mother:
"What would you be?
Would you be happy?
Would you be wealthy?"
And she said:
"No one's happy.
You'll be a social worker just like me"

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Your mum sounds an awful lot like mine. Particularly in the last two responsesv(mine was a social worker/psychotherapist). Liking your third stanza also!

    ReplyDelete