Pages

Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Savatage - Still The Orchestra Plays - Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2

I reviewed a 'best of...' album for the band Savatage.

Savatage are a thrash metal band from the 80's. They were described to me as pioneers of a prog-thrash sound that changed the face of the metal world. Sounds terrible, doesn't it?

I hadn't even heard of them. I only opted to do it because I saw the word 'orchestra'. I thought it might be a modern harsh take on classical music. When the press release and the cd turned up, I was fucking gutted. I listened to it. Cringed. Why on earth were a completely no name, theatre metal band getting a greatest hits CD?

But the band do have fans. I may not have anything in common with any of those fans, but it is for them that I am writing. So, after some intellectual tussle with my editor about audience and integrity etc, I decided to sit down an put some effort into it.

Hours of research later (I grew a beard, watched Star Trek, wanked over Seven of Nine and played one of those jaggedy guitars), this is what I produced.

No comments:

Post a Comment